It's hard to even contemplate how the parents of Charlie Gard are feeling right now. This is such a sad story but it also makes me so angry. I try not to rant too much here in 'brew-land' because I always intended it to be a peaceful fun place and to leave troubles behind but sometimes there's a need to speak out loud.
When I first read about Charlie I did think that maybe it was the kindest thing to let him go as his quality of life would be quite minimal but then I had a serious word with myself and thought who the heck am I to come to that decision, and would I think that if he was my child? The answer is no I probably wouldn't. I admit I don't know the full facts but I do know that I am a parent and I always fight for the best for my boys and my goodness, even harder if it came to saving their lives.
Charlie Gard has a very rare genetic condition and yes there is no guarantee that Charlie will survive if his parents take him to the U.S for what is said to be experimental treatment but shouldn't they be allowed to try? The European Court have decided that the treatment would actually do him more harm and not help his condition at all but how do they know that if it's experimental? They have said that Charlie should be allowed to die with dignity, something that is actually denied by most adults with a voice in this country. I just think it's so hard to hear this decision from a court of people, their decision is 'final' as if they've just issued an eviction notice for someone to move out of their property.
This is a little boys life, a boy who can't make a decision for himself so it has to be decided by someone else. You may say that having gone through the legal system in the UK and now in Europe that evidence must point towards a decision that is correct and in the best interest of Charlie but I just feel that this decision should be with Chris and Connie, Charlie's parents. You may say that they want to just hang onto him and not let go but surely you would want to make sure that you are doing the right thing before you do?
Wasn't it not long ago we were watching two parents get arrested for insisting on an alternative treatment for Ashya King who was poorly with a brain tumour? Didn't the NHS here say that Proton Beam Therapy would have no effect? Yet Ashya is now recovering and cancer free. That wouldn't have happened if his parents hadn't fought for what they wanted for their son.
Ok a completely different case and a different illness with a completely different prognosis but I am still trying to get my head around the parents not having full control. Why can't these parents just go and do what they want with their child. I would want to. I would take on board what the experts say but if there was a chance of something more and something on offer wouldn't you at least want the chance to decide whether to take it?
Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it is the kindest way to let him go, to stop his suffering, Let me know what your views are. Like I say we don't know the full details of his condition and like I said maybe evidence does prove that it is what should be but my argument is that the final decision should be left to the parents not the courts.
Thank you for letting me air my views, I'm sure it will be a case to be debated for a while to come in one way or another.
I will be back tomorrow with a Verse for Thursday.
Take care for now.......
What to Buy Wednesday
From May 2020 I will be writing a poem about something I may have purchased or would like to purchase.